Artist Spotlight - Spyros Verykios

Artist Spotlight - Spyros Verykios #SpyrosVerykios #GreekArtist #contemporaryart
"Untitled", 2005, Oil on Canvas, 2 m x 3.10 m, created by artist Spyros Verykios.


If you are familiar with my artist spotlight feature I get to find out what inspires an artist and their work. I always ask the same seven questions that explore the creative force behind each talented creator. Today I am interviewing Greek artist, Spyros Verykios. I am featuring his work from his 2006 series of paintings. 

I paint microscopic fragments and residues (pieces of plastic, metal, paper, plastic bags). The objects have been destroyed, melt, deformed to such an extent that it is impossible to recognize their initial significance, use. Their scale changes from insignificant to the memorial and their significance are designed, invented again from undefined to ambiguous. Their forms are included and organized in a metaphysical, expressionist frame." - Spyros Verykios


Artist Spotlight - Spyros Verykios #SpyrosVerykios #GreekArtist #contemporaryart
"Untitled", 2005, Oil on canvas, 2 m x 2 m, created by artist Spyros Verykios.


Q: Where are you from/located? 
A: I live in Athens, Greece.

Q: Where can we follow you or purchase your work? 


Artist Spotlight - Spyros Verykios #SpyrosVerykios #GreekArtist #contemporaryart
"Untitled", 2005, Oil on Canvas, 2 m x 3.10 m, created by artist Spyros Verykios.



Q: When or why did you become interested in art? 
A: As far as I can remember since I was a child. I started studying visual arts when I was 18 years old. I always loved creating images and stories. I started creating professionally when I was 24 years old if I remember correctly.

Q: Who are you influenced by or inspired by when it comes to your work? 
A: In the past, I was influenced by artists like William de Kooning, Valesquez, and Bonnard. Today I focus personally on my rhythms and "vibes". 


Artist Spotlight - Spyros Verykios #SpyrosVerykios #GreekArtist #contemporaryart
"Untitled", 2005, Oil on Canvas, 2 m x 3.40 m, created by artist Spyros Verykios.


Q: How is your worldview inspired your work? 
A: I am interested in the uncanny aspect of things and situations. This specific quality can be found in all of my work. I would describe it as raising questions for which there is no answer. Answers are necessary and comforting but at the same time, they are boring. I prefer questions.

Q: Do you think that art can change the world and in what way if so? 
A: Art can't change the world like politics, economy, ideologies, and sciences but it enriches our lives through the creation of cultural symbols and narratives. Art can invent meaning where there is no meaning at all or reveal hidden aspects of the world and ourselves. 


Artist Spotlight - Spyros Verykios #SpyrosVerykios #GreekArtist #contemporaryart
"Untitled", 2005, Oil on Canvas, 2 m x 2.10 m, created by artist Spyros Verykios.


Q: What do you love most about art? 
A: Now, this is a difficult question. There is an inner feeling when researching and creating. It is not something metaphysical but something very real. I suppose creativity, all kinds of creativity is linked to life, sex, and love.


Popular Posts